November 14, 2013

The other side of the hill

When asking about the best spots in Los Angeles, one often is pointed toward The Getty Center. Now I have to say, I've yet to take a stroll about this said-to-be epic museum, though it is definitely on my to-see list (which is never ending). However, a few weekends ago, myself and a group of my favorite gals popped over to the other side of the Los Angeles hills to The Getty Villa



True to its name, The Getty Villa is the manifestation of J. Paul Getty's vision of creating a Roman Villa to house his dream museum. Constructed during the 1970s, the Villa is a replica of the Villa of Papryri at Herculaneum, Pompeii's less popular sister-city, also destroyed by Vesuvius in 79 A.D. Unfortunately, Mr.Getty died before getting to see the completion of the site, thought it was luckily still completed, in appropriate Roman architecture and style, with the inheritance left by the visionary. 


Today, after a brief renovation in the early 2000s, the Getty Villa is open to the public as a museum and little piece of A.D. Rome, right off the PCH. In this way, with its randomness of grandeur right at your finger tips, The Getty Villa reminds me of Hearst Castle, which I visited earlier in the fall. It too sits right up high above the Pacific Ocean, gazing out at the million dollar view, seemingly picked out of another time; both constructions envisioned by men appreciative of history and its preservation. The Getty Villa, especially, with its explicit purpose of being a museum, is an excellent example of both preserving and appreciating antiquity.

Being that the trip up to the Villa was taken by myself and several other classics-nerds, we were set to have a great time. We strolled through the halls, eying the jewelry, and making educated, and often snarky, comments about all the exceedingly old objects that the Villa is home to. 












Since we are all Humanities-buffs, like I mentioned, we spent plenty of time analyzing the painting styles that decorate the halls of the Villa; and I must say, they are pretty spectacular in their attention to detail. 









As usual, there was general silliness, even amongst our "sophisticated" scholarly selves. 








Though we were absolutely mature whilst touring the carved nude statues; we would never make any observations outside proportion or counter poise.









We had lunch at the Cafe, which was delicious, though a little pricey. I would say split the cheese platter, like my friend and I did. It was tasty, filling, and a good price (but do keep in mind I could live off bread and cheese and be a happy camper, so maybe I'm a little biased). 



After lunch it was almost time to go, so we went and checked out some of the best views before being on our way. 








It was such a beautiful sunny day, we could not have been luckier; it was that kind of day, considering it was the beginning of November, that non-Californians look at in envy. I swear I appreciate it every sun-shiny day though. 

The Getty Villa itself was just as spectacular as the day. So immaculate and interesting, and also, did I mention, free! Technically admission to the Villa is free of charge, you just have to pay for parking. You do have to reserve tickets in advance, which you can do here, but that sounds like a pretty good bargain to me, right? I hope you all can make it by sometime and enjoy the step in time like we did. 

I'll try to pop over to the Getty Center soon to let you know how I feel about the other side of the hill. 

Yours, Kenna 

3 comments:

  1. The Getty looks amazing! And look at that weather... I'm so jealous! I live in London and it's very grey and cold here right now!

    I saw you'd commented on the Londoner's blog. I thought you might like my London based blog...www.the-london-blog.co.uk

    Perhaps we could follow each other?

    Hannah (Chad does London on bloglovin)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Hannah! Your blog is darling and I'll definitely keep reading:) I have London travel plans for next summer so I love to get all the British bits in I can!

      Sending sunshine your way!

      Delete
  2. It looks lovely! My boss went here recently while she was on holiday and was telling us all about it but didn't have any photos, glad I can now visualise it! Lovely pictures Kenna xx

    ReplyDelete



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...